November 13, 2016

Dove Christmas Tree Ornament - free pattern

I chose to use my favourite dove motif for this week's free Christmas Tree Ornament.


The dove is outlined with silver metallic thread, but it would look just as lovely if you used gold. Then I've used some lace around the edge which was very easy to sandwich between the felt circles and stitch in place with a decorative running stitch. 


Of course there are a myriad ways you could finish off the design so I'd love to see how you interpret this free pattern.

The dove is an interesting symbol for Christmas, isn't it. I chose to use it with all its connotations of peace, purity and love as embodying all that we have available to us because Christ came to earth. That's plenty to celebrate, isn't it!

You can find the free pattern here in my Craftsy Store.

If you love the Christmas Dove as much as I do, you might also like my hanging dove which I gave as a free Christmas pattern a couple of years ago. It is still available for free in my Craftsy Store, here.


My Dresden quilt is progressing well. It has taken heaps longer than I expected. Appliqueing, quilting, hand-stitching the sashings, adding borders Quilt-As-You-Go style etc have all taken time. I know I don't HAVE to hand-stitch, but I like the finish that this gives on a QAYG quilt, so it is worth the extra effort. All my previous QAYG quilts have been string-type designs without a border, so I have had to think through how to add them on this quilt without bulk and still looking like "normal" borders! Thankfully I am happy with how it's all turning out.

In other adventures this past week, we avoided stepping on a venomous red-bellied black snake which crossed the path in front of us on our morning walk:


delighted in the bonus that an easy-care cactus garden gives:


and rejoiced in seeing gorgeous red-backed fairy wrens:


May your week be full of blessings too!

Hugs
Val

5 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Thank you. The dove is beautiful.

Createology said...

I adore your Peace Dove and I hope it brings Peace to this World of Chaos. Blessings and Thank you Dear...

Guida said...

Thank you Val for this lovely pattern. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year. Guida.

margaret said...

2 lovely doves thank you will be making some of these for the hopsice Xmas fair next year though as it is on in a week Such a pretty wren ours are just brown, we have one that appears every time a cat comes into the garden and does not shut up till it goes!

Anonymous said...

Thank you - might be my favorite one! Thanks, too, for the pictures. I love that little fairy wren. I don't think we have those here.