February 1, 2015

What do you do when your machine is having its annual checkup?


My heart always sinks when I hear those dreaded words, "Your machine should be ready in about ten days."  How can I cope with being parted from my Bernina for such a long time while it has its annual service?

It's really easy for those ten long days to just disappear into myriads of Facebook readings, Pinterest browsings, and idly moving the computer mouse, and before I know it, I have achieved absolutely nothing in the time - not good for my well-being as I like to be productive!

So what do I have to show for my week? Sewing binding down is always a good hand-stitching job and I'm happy to say that a new table runner is completed.


Our bed has been broken for a year or so and we're always wondering when the day will come that it will collapse completely! Well, that day isn't going to come, because we have bought a new one.  For health reasons, we have to have our head raised, so we have decided on an electric adjustable bed. We had some in-home demonstrations, haggled about the price, weighed up the pros and cons, and now our new bed is currently being made at the factory.

Mangoes are in plentiful supply at the moment which means they are a good price for buying bulk quantities. We love eating them fresh of course, but the season is so short and by preserving them we can enjoy the delicious taste throughout the year ... and it is a good job for when you don't have a sewing machine! Ten weeks of mangoes on our breakfast cereal coming up:


Some of our curtains are starting to disintegrate, so it was time to choose fabric for new ones. I've had fun with layers of fabric samples draped over the furniture, rejecting some, narrowing down the choice and deciding on just the right fabric. For the first time in 48 years, I am not making my own curtains! When I envisaged 13 metres of fabric draped all over the floor, trying to measure, cut, join, stitch, pleat, hem, (and that is for just one curtain), I decided I really was not interested! I would much rather make a quilt or a bag or a wall-hanging! My lovely curtain man is coming on Monday to do a final measure and I am very happy to let his girls do the rest!

What else is there to do when you don't have a sewing machine than to draw up a new design? That was productive moving of the computer mouse:


Of course I've been stitching another Keys to Contentment block - look out for Block 2 in the third week of the month.


So how will I fill in the rest of my ten days?  Do some paperwork - there's always plenty of that to do. I'd also like to prepare some more of my designs for sale in my Craftsy store, start stitching my new design, preserve a case of plums, and I suppose I had better write up the pattern for my table runner!

Happy stitching!
Val

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luckily I haven't been without a sewing machine, but I have been without a computer and I think that's just as bad! I sure would love to have an abundance of mangoes, but no go here in Los Angeles. I do treat myself when the price is right. I love tropical fruit. Looking forward to the next Key to Contentment. Thanks!

Needled Mom said...

It looks like you are making the best of a bad situation. Those mangoes look delicious.

Quiltsmiles said...

I love Mangoes here too in The northern most part of New York State and sometimes will see them for $1 a piece. What a great price since they are typically $3-4 each most of the time.
How do you preserve yours? Would love the recipe you use and stay true with so the next sale I run across I "could put some up", as my grandmother phrased for years.

barbara woods said...

sounds like you have found plenty to do. Hugs

Susan said...

I really do wonder why they need a machne for 10 days to get it serviced - imagine if we had to give up our cars for that long!!
Looking forward yo whatever that house thing becomes.

Anonymous said...

You found some great ways to occupy those ten days - the mangoes look fabulous. I love the look of filled jars lined up on the shelf. Here, I'm lucky. I have a repair man who comes to a shop and spends half a day once a week cleaning machines that come in. He can clean anything. I take my machines at different times, so if anything goes wrong, I always have something on which to sew. So far, he's cleaned and handed it back while I sat and did some hand stitching! Two vintage ones, two modern ones.

sunny said...

You've been very busy! I've just returned from a very relaxing vacation, and now I have a million things to do to get caught up. I'll do some stitching tomorrow while I tackle the mountain of laundry. Stitching your first block is near the top of my list. I did select the fabric before I left. :-)

Nanna Chel said...

Val, you have certainly kept yourself busy. I was without the internet for the weekend and that was bad enough so I would hate to lose my sewing machine for 10 days if I was in your shoes.

Sisbabestitches said...

Oh you have been so well organised, being without a machine does mess with one's routine :) Must remember that binding of quilts idea :) Looking forward to the second block of Keys To Contentment- have number one sewn and ready to get on with stitching :)

Wendyb said...

sometimes sending the machine for its annual checkup can give us time to catch-up! We have to try and beat the parrots to our mangoes in the trees.....have chopped some up and frozen them.....great in smoothies! Can't wait to see that new design and the table runner pattern too.....will be on the lookout in your craftsy shop! xox sugary hugs :o)