September 9, 2012

Rosebud Treasure Box


It's time to reveal the project I will be teaching at the Creative Craft Retreat. If you live in South East Queensland, you might be interested in this wonderful weekend away - nothing to do all weekend but craft!  It will be held at Lake Perseverance from 2nd-4th November and you can find all the information you need here.

My workshop for the weekend will be the Rosebud Treasure Box:


I had so much enjoyment putting this design together.  It embodies so many things that I like - applique, Suffolk Puffs, embroidery, lace, beads and pretty rosebuds.


As you know, I love to make pretty and practical projects.  This box is a six inch cube with a lid so is really quite roomy and ever so useful for storing treasures.


I hope I'll get to meet some of you there and I'd love to have you in my class!

Do you remember how fond I was of my "Thoughts in Thread" dove? I loved it so much that I had to use it in another project and so the Pure Peace quilt was born:


Four lovely doves in the centre:


The design is in the latest Australian Country Craft and Decorating, Vol 23 No 8:


I've had a funny week!  It was one of those weeks when my stitching didn't come together as planned.  I've been working on a table runner and have done more reverse sewing on it than I like to remember.  I am happy with the basic design, but the embellishments have just not been right, so I've been making and adding things, getting almost finished, then off they all come again! Then I drew up a really lovely little stitchery with applique, then I realised that the fabrics I had used were too similar to another design which has been commissioned for publication.  I tried some other fabrics and got under way with the embroidery, but it's not the effect I was hoping to obtain! I haven't had one of those weeks for a year or two and I'm hoping I don't have another one soon!

However, in the middle of my unproductive week, I had a fabulous idea!  There's going to be lots of exciting things happening on my blog in November and December, so stay tuned!

Happy stitching!
Val

8 comments:

Susan said...

Love the treasure box - I have a "thing" for houses/buildings. Darn about your week - hopefully the next one is much better. Eagerly waiting fro Nov/Dec reveal.

KaHolly said...

Val, there is just no end to your talent. I'm loving this little treasure box. Wish I lived in SE Queensland, because I'd be there if I did!!~karen

Corina said...

Love the treasure box! You make such pretty things!

Christine M said...

Your Treasure Box is lovely Val.I'm looking forward to your exciting happening.

Melody said...

You are so talented and everything you make is so pretty.

Allie said...

Such a pretty treasure box, Val! Oh I hate weeks like that, lol, I hope things smooth out for you soon!

Allie said...

Forgot to say how much I LOVE your doves!!!

Ondrea said...

More beautiful things you have created. I ,too, love those doves and that quilt is just perfect to showcase them.