July 29, 2012

One of the world’s top 25!



No, not a pop song at the top of the charts!
We are on one of the world’s top 25 Railway Journeys! 

We are at the moment travelling home from a fabulous three-week holiday in tropical north Queensland.  We’re doing something we’ve never done before - sitting in comfort in a spacious cabin on the Sunlander train. It’s a wonderful way of travelling 3200 kms.  We are just loving the relaxing journey, looking at beautiful scenery and stunning sunsets, enjoying fine dining and being treated like royalty.  The maitre d’ just came and asked us what time we would like our bed prepared! Our car accompanied us on the train so we have been able to travel around freely visiting all sorts of wonderful world heritage areas, rainforests, national parks and conservation areas.







We've seen some absolutely stunning birds:

 Bee-eaters


 Sunbird

The closest I made it to stitching during our holiday was to read the craft magazines I brought with me!  Four of the magazines featured my designs so I will show you them later when I’m back home. As you know, I just love designing and stitching, but it’s been quite relaxing to be doing something different.  I haven’t even dreamt up one new design the whole holiday! Of course, I couldn’t be happy without doing something with my hands, so there’s been quite a bit of progress on my crochet rippleblanket.  It’s been an ideal project for the train journey, that is when I’m not staring out the window, admiring the brilliant sunset, the rippling streams we cross, the lakes we skim by, or talking with my family by e-mail!

Have a great week!

Val

8 comments:

B J Elder said...

What a great trip with such awesome scenery. That's the kind of trip DH and I would greatly enjoy. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Allie said...

Wow Val that sounds just amazing, I'm very envious! How wonderful. Your pictures are just gorgeous. I'm sure once you're home, a design will come from your travels!

quiltingmieke said...

Hi, wow Wath a vacantion, lovely pictures, so nice

hug mieke

Bluebell said...

Hi Val, what a wonderful way to see the country it sounds amazing I am very envous of all the beautiful birds you have seen, I too am doing a ripple blanket mine is for my daughter I did one for us and she loves so I started another one they are so lovely. Take care Jillx

Wendy said...

Fabulous! I love train journies and have also done one of the top 25 - I did the Trans-Siberian through Mongolia to Beijing. Amazing. I'm so jealous of you right now!

LesQuilts said...

Wow! Wonderful trip!
My bucket list includes the trip on the Orient Express!
I have done the Winnipeg to Vancouver on CNR and Via Rail in Canada, thru the Rockie Mountains, but your trip sounds wonderful too!
Take care, Leslie

Anthea said...

Have a wonderful time Val, such beautiful pics you've shared. Don't we live in such a stunning country?!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you two are throughly enjoying the vacation of a lifetime! Thank you for sharing with us.