January 23, 2011

Odds and Sods


Thank you to the lovely ladies who have taken the time to write a comment or e-mail me to let me know you like the new "Consider the Lilies" free BOM design.  It is always so encouraging to hear from you.

At the moment we have our two grand-daughters from Melbourne with us.  They are almost 15 and just turned 13, so not hard to look after!  ... and they both love craft!  The younger one, Stephanie, has never knitted before, and she has now conquered knit and purl stitches. Jasmine has been knitting a teddy bear with lots of increases, decreases and casting off which she learnt quickly and has done with great aplomb. Steph made a skirt complete with pockets.  Then there's the beginnings of a quilt, applique on jeans and a tile mosaic all happening. So it's been a great excuse not to do any housework and spend lots of time crafting! 

I've even been able to do some of my own stitching in between all the lessons and finally finished a table topper that was begun before we moved house.  I sent off a photo to an Australian magazine and it was accepted for publication later in the year and I also had another design commissioned a couple of weeks ago, so my designing is starting to get back on track again.

Now I didn't ever show you any of the Christmas presents I made, so here is a selection:

A couple of pencil cases:




 Some very simple covered Journals:









And a water-bottle carrier:


This one was an ideal project to try out a new quilting stencil I bought.
 
Have a great week!

Happy Stitching
Val

9 comments:

Maria McCabe said...

How nice to have your grand-daughters there with you! I spent most of my time growing up with my grandma and she is the one (with her sister) who taught me to sew, embroider and crochet. I have all the pieces cut and pinned ready to sew for the Consider the Lilies BOM. I am waiting for my Aunt to visit this week - I am using your pattern to teach her to applique! I can't wait! My 4 year old wants the flower petals - he wants to sew with me! Thank you again!
Maria

Ruby said...

Just getting back to checking blogs and see you have a new BOM. Glad I'm not too far behind. Thanks for doing this. I am happy your family is doing well. It has been a tragic time.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

OH, relax and enjoy your grandies while they want the time with you. I love it - simple journal covers, hahaha - how lovely. Congratulations on your patterns.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

It is great that the younger generation want to learn to craft!
My grandma tried to teach me to knit which failed.

Melody said...

What beautiful work, I especially love the water bottle holder.

pennyquilts said...

I've started...and finished....the first block of Considering the Lilies. Its on my blog so others who see it might join in. Thank you very much for the wonderful design, I especially like the added scallop embroidery on the block frame. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Miss Hillbilly said...

HOW in the world did I miss your BOM post??? I am so glad that you said something?? I have been WAITING for this. Off to add the button and gather supplies...

Allie said...

How lovely to have your grands with you, and joining you in creating - sounds like they take after you! It is truly a wonderful gift you're giving to them, by teaching them.
Congrats on your new designs, can't wait to see them!
I love all the Christmas gifts you made, that water bottle carrier is just gorgeous!

Kim Hanauer said...

Hi Val!
Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! I love your beautiful work! Oh how fun to craft with your grand daughters. I never learned how to knit. It sounds like she will be knitting for years to come! That`s exciting! Thanks for sharing.
Blessings~
Kim :0)