February 28, 2010

Playing with Beautiful Fabrics

I've had a lovely week playing with a gorgeous new range from Moda - Garden Party by Blackbird designs.  A magazine commissioned a project using these lovely fabrics and I am thrilled with the way it has turned out.


There's quite a bit of hand quilting on it and as usual I have two sore index fingers.  I really must go and buy some finger protectors as I just can't work with a thimble.  All the paperwork is now done - instructions and templates take me for ever to prepare - so it's off to the Post Office tomorrow to send it on its way.

I used a Jelly Roll for the above project and of course there's heaps left over, so I have started making this:



Don't you just love the soft muted colours?  The quality of the fabric is lovely to work with too.  Of course I couldn't resist some applique:



Then I have a lovely bundle of fat quarters in the same range so I am dreaming of what I will make with them!

I've had my new glasses a few days and they are getting initiated, though I haven't tried any super-close work yet.  They're multifocals which I've had for years but each pair is different and I've just about worked out where to look for all the different distances now.

Hope you have some time to stitch this week!

Regards
Val

5 comments:

Joy said...

Oh Val I love what you've made, your hand quilting is just divine!! A friend gave me a little bundle of 2 1/2" squares of Garden Party for Christmas ... now I'm hooked and have ordered more. It really is a lovely range :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Karen said...

That is a pretty new line of fabric. I like all the fabrics that Blackbird Designs does.

Allie said...

How pretty - those fabrics are just lovely!

I still have to take my glasses completely off to do any close work, and hold it right to my nose. What a pain!

Vicki ♥ said...

I am in love with this range of fabrics too Val and I am looking forward to your project being published. It looks devine! very very pretty. :) Hugs Vicki

Martina said...

Oh I love your fabrics and your sneak peaks! I just finished the first stitchery of your new BOM. Thank you so much for sharing these lovely patterns!
Hugs from switzerland
Martina